Thursday, August 23, 2007

All-Time Teams: Bench Warmers

“There’s nothing cooler than having legends as bench warmers”



I think that quote from Morgan resumes the direction of this post. I’ve told to complete the All Time teams with the 11th and 12th man in the rotation. This post follows the logic of the discussion post, as is not about the better player left but the best player for the given team.



Let’s get straight to business. I’m violating the main rule of this set of post, because I feel one of the greatest power forwards was cut from the “PFs” list by Morgan; and now I’ve the chance of making things right. That’s why I’m selecting Elvin Hayes as the 11th player of the roster.



Hayes was a great rebounder and shot blocker, with a leaping ability that would made a young Shawn Kemp jealous. The downside, his ego would fight with Malone’s ego on daily basis, but we have enough leadership in the first team to cool things down. The last place belongs to one of the greatest and more clutch players of all time: Reggie Miller. Just imagine Duncan passing from a double team to either an open Reggie Miller in one corner or an open Larry Bird in the other. That’s magical.



I couldn’t explain you why I feel the second team needs a defensive boost, maybe it’s because I want to put the finishing touches in one the greatest defensive teams ever assembled. Dave DeBusschere and Dennis Rodman are my choices for the Second Team. They both are blue collar guys, premier defenders, and very smart guys, yes, Rodman too. The fact that he was crazy doesn't take anything away from him basketball-wise




The third team is going to be the only All Team to have the feared three headed monster in the middle, as I’m picking Moses Malone as one of the “bench warmers”. If your are in your twenty’s you remember him as the fat, slow center in a Spurs uniform, but he was in fact , at his heydays, a very agile player with a urge for rebounds, think in a far more offensive Dwight Howard. The final legend to be selected is Pete Maravich, he’s a prefect fit for this team; a fast, high scoring and flashy player, it’s like I planned all along!



No comments: